Monday, January 26, 2015

Documented Life 2015 Week 2

 This weeks challenge was to use gesso. We were also supposed to be inspired by a Mary Shelley quote about starting today, however, I'm behind and there is also a prompt out right now with the theme of "Words with Friends." So what we have here, is a combo...gesso and words with friends.
I've never started with black gesso before, so this was an experiment...I sketched with a white colored pencil.
Then I blocked in colors with paints. I didn't  know if the color would show up on the black, or allow too much black through, but I like what happened! The pink paint is a Liquitex Basics, and the white and reds are Golden Fluid Acrylics.
I just kind of blocked in shadows and highlights, keeping it loose.
 Then I got out the Pitt pen and did some sketching details and defining edges. Added some highlights and little dots with the Sharpie water based pen.

This was a fun experiment, and I definitely want to try using a black background again.

No comments: